It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 
 Post subject: Closing New Registrations
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

We have had a ton of fake bot registrations recently despite having made it more difficult for them to register. I have no choice at the moment except to close new registrations (not like we are getting many anyway). I will be talking to others at Seton to see if we want to invest time in fixing the problem, or considering the inactivity of the SAB, if it is time to retire the board.

Post subject: Re: Closing New Registrations
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:46 pm 

Alright, well I hope this ends well, and I hope your talk with the Seton members goes well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:12 pm 

Sooo maybe I shouldn't start asking people to join the SAB board on SMB if were just going to retire this site anyways LOL

~Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:41 pm 

Site goes... BOOM!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:40 pm 

So Quick question I have two friends I know who are Seton Students and use all other Seton sites (Seton Chess, and Seton Message Board) Can they join now!?!?!? or is registration still closed???

~Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:03 pm 

What are your friends name on Seton Chess?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:50 am 
Site Admin

KyleStyles09500 wrote:
So Quick question I have two friends I know who are Seton Students and use all other Seton sites (Seton Chess, and Seton Message Board) Can they join now!?!?!? or is registration still closed???

~Kyle

I will re-open registrations, and see if the flood of fake registrations continues. If it does, it will be closed again.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Sorry, I had it open for 3 minutes and got 3 fake registrations in that time. Registrations will stay closed, and the SAB will probably officially be closed at some point.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:11 pm 

Draper wrote:
Sorry, I had it open for 3 minutes and got 3 fake registrations in that time. Registrations will stay closed, and the SAB will probably officially be closed at some point.

WHAT!?!?! Are you serious!?!?!?!? Already!?!?!?!? Geez....so were the last of the last SAB members?

Good Bye EVERYONE!!!!! (Mostly just JanetM and Ecthelion) Thanks for all the chatting we had LOL Mostly about Star Wars and Superheroes LOL

I guess soon SAB will be gone for good....

~Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:13 pm 

Who is sending this fake registrations!?!?!?!??!

And what is considered a fake registration!?!?!?

This is just ridiculous that this is even happening people need to get a life and actually do something productive with their time than annoy people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:33 am 

KyleStyles09500 wrote:
Good Bye EVERYONE!!!!! (Mostly just JanetM and Ecthelion) Thanks for all the chatting we had LOL Mostly about Star Wars and Superheroes LOL

:lol: Haha, "Everyone." Yes, it's been brief but fun: thanks for stopping by, too. (:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:32 pm 

Indeed these times shall be remembered. May you live long,may the sword of thine enemy never strike upon thee, and may the peace and joy of Heaven be ever upon thee.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

KyleStyles09500 wrote:
Who is sending this fake registrations!?!?!?!??!

And what is considered a fake registration!?!?!?

This is just ridiculous that this is even happening people need to get a life and actually do something productive with their time than annoy people.

Originally, most were coming from Russia, but I have already banned all registrations from that country which solved the problem for a while, but now they are US IP addresses using various email services like gmail and yahoo which are impossible for me to ban (because many of us use them).

It is all automated scripts, not like there was a person just waiting for me to open registrations again, but I agree, it is sad people feel the need to do such things.

I might talk to people about getting some kind of forum for high school students on the new Bailey Bulletin site. There are likely better message board software options than phpBB which we have used since starting the SAB in 2009, and I had been using since I first ran a board when I was a student... which was quite some time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:02 pm 

Russia? Weird....

Ah...I see still its really frustrating that others have to deal with the consequences of this =( =( =(

Hey that would be awesome! Though I mean, I DO like SAB but if this does have to be shut down it would be really awesome to have one on the Bayley Bulletin. Wow...so you've been running this board...THAT LONG!?!?!? Wow!!! That's so impressive!!!!! Your like....the longest active member of them all on here Draper =D =D =D

~Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 pm 

JanetM wrote:
KyleStyles09500 wrote:

:lol: Haha, "Everyone." Yes, it's been brief but fun: thanks for stopping by, too. (:

So since you and Ecthelion (Anthony) have been talking for what...2 years on here now!?! How do you both feel about having to say goodbye and not having a great conversation about Star Wars ever again???

~Kyle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:05 pm 

Ecthelion wrote:
Indeed these times shall be remembered. May you live long,may the sword of thine enemy never strike upon thee, and may the peace and joy of Heaven be ever upon thee.

(Crying over here) jk

Thank you for the writing that...and this is how SAB ended folks with those final glorious words from Anthony....May SAB rest in peace.....

~Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:48 pm 

Well, maybe it's just time to move on.

http://setonfossilsclub.com/ and http://www.teenhomeschoolhang.com/phpBB3/ are also forums with quite a bit of activity still, and I'm a member on both. Maybe you guys would like to check them out, or name some of your own suggestions.

I don't know though: maybe one day I'll just quit forums and whatnot.
Social communication just doesn't seem to be working out for me. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 pm 

Are the other sites Seton administrated?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:07 am 

^ No, they aren't, but there are a lot of old SAB members on the Seton Fossils Club. You could always try your luck though: if your parents approved this forum, they may approve the other. You never know. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:22 am 

JanetM wrote:
Well, maybe it's just time to move on.

http://setonfossilsclub.com/ and http://www.teenhomeschoolhang.com/phpBB3/ are also forums with quite a bit of activity still, and I'm a member on both. Maybe you guys would like to check them out, or name some of your own suggestions.

I don't know though: maybe one day I'll just quit forums and whatnot.
Social communication just doesn't seem to be working out for me. :P

That will be a sad sad day =(

Yeah I just use Social communication really just to talk with two close friends of mine. Though I decided to come on here just to see months ago and I have enjoyed the convos with you and Anthony haha we've all had some interesting topics!

~Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:11 pm 

Indeed we have had good times here.

I am afraid mine parents do not like Sites that are not Seton administrated.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:46 pm 

^ Well, I understand. My parents don't really like forums either, especially not when I was younger.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:48 pm 

Yeah same my parents are okay with me going on the Seton Writers Club if I wanted too (though I don't because I don't have time to answer a million PMs because supposedly a lot of people want to talk on there with me) I just spend a lot of time every night talking with my best friends so...yeah I don't have time for socializing here there and everywhere on every possible forum I could go on.

Though...I'm not allowed to have a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.... Which I'm completely fine with I don't even care to be on them. So for me its all good.

~Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

Ecthelion wrote:
Are the other sites Seton administrated?

I am afraid not, aside from the academic boards that is. I wish there was, and have advocated for it in the past, but it is also a moderation nightmare. We had a real student message board back in the late 90's and it was very popular, but as you might be able to imagine, it is difficult to have guidelines that would please everyone. We got away with this one because it was only for older students, and it never was so big that it got any negative attention.

Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ]